Friday 4 January 2013

A is for Abundance

As I've started this blog so close to the New Year, I decided to join in on the 2013 Pagan Blog Project. Every fortnight participating bloggers will write a post specifically focusing on a letter of the alphabet. Today is the first of these posts.

I have had a lifelong struggle with pessimism. It's not so much that I'm a "glass-half-empty" kind of person, I'm more of the "you-have-a-glass?" kind. I guess it started out as a form of self-protection ~ if you think the worse will happen and it doesn't then that's a nice surprise, but if you expect everything to always go great, well then you're going to face a lot of disappointment. Over the years this has engulfed me in a cloud of negativity that is incredibly hard to shake off. After all, you can't just change the way your mind works overnight.

So one of the things I want to focus on this year is Abundance. I find it too easy to notice the things I believe are lacking in my life, and far too easy to overlook my blessings. For example, I often find myself moaning about the long commute to work and back, but I am lucky to have a well-paid job working with lovely people. Whenever I catch myself moaning about my life I will make a conscious effort to find a way to put a positive spin on the thought instead. Here are some examples:

It's raining again ~ the trees will get plenty to drink and there will be no hosepipe ban in the summer
I'm too fat ~ I am lucky to have more than enough food to eat
My house is really small ~ which makes it easier to keep warm

Something that I've noticed going around on Facebook, Pinterest etc. lately is a Memories Jar, and I'm going to use this to help me to remember all the wonderful things that happen. All you need to do is take a jar, and every time you have a lovely experience you write it down on a slip of paper and pop it in the jar. They don't have to be epic adventures, in fact it's better if they're not. After all it's easy to remember huge fun events like weddings, holidays, etc, but how about a cuddle on the sofa with a loved one, tea and cake with friends, achieving a particular goal such as weight loss? All these things can warm your heart and make you smile but can easily be eclipsed and forgotten over time. At the end of the year you open up the jar and get to relive all those wonderful memories.

 

This is my jar. I sprayed the lid pink because it's a cheery colour and it represents Love, a gentle affectionate love rather than a rudey passionate sort! The peacock memo block was a Christmas gift which lends itself perfectly to jotting down my happy memories.
I hope this will help me remember how blessed I am, how my life is filled with Abundance and Joy in so many small and special ways.

6 comments:

  1. I have heard of this idea and wish you well with it. PBP brought me by. I admire the way you're turning previously negative thoughts into more positive ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Odeliaivy, it's going to be a struggle I expect, but I'm determined to change my outlook!

      Delete
  2. Love the memories jar. I haven't heard of it, but my dearest husband and I just yesterday had a talk about how hard it is for him to feel that he is successful if there is even ONE thing left undone on his mind. I tend to dance a dance of self celebration just for getting the dishes washed!
    I think I may make him, or us, a jar to keep in the kitchen and fill with the things that are accomplished and so have it as a reference whenever he is feeling low or helpless. Then, he can see how I see him, accomplished.
    Thank you. This post might really improve someone's outlook.
    G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely idea Gemma. I struggle with acknowledging the positive in my life and hope this will help me. Tonight I added my first Smile ~ my son and I watching Dark Knight Rises together and doing terrible impressions of Bane ~ something that could easily get lost in the mists of time if not for the Memory Jar. I hope this helps your husband :)
      (P.S. I'm with you re the dishes, I usually lose interest halfway through and "leave the rest for tomorrow"!)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the reminder of the memory jar! It's something I intended to start this year, but then the first four days of the year were a...um...really terrible time. Just bloody awful, really. So I kind of forgot.

    But it is a great idea, especially for those of us who struggle to remember the good things in life.

    Good luck with keeping abundance in mind! I know how tough it can be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morag, I hope 2013 is being kinder to you now!

      Delete