Friday 8 March 2013

E is for Earworms

The Universe, the Divine, is always sending signs our way. From the dawn of time we have been trying to read the signs, make sense of these patterns. From runes to chicken bones to tea leaves. The clouds in the sky and the wash of seaweed on the shore. Divination, the reading of those signs, is as old as forever, but I think I've stumbled upon a new way of hearing the messages.
Earworms.
I'm sure we've all experienced one ~ that catchy tune you hear on the radio when you're getting ready for work, that sticks with you all day. This is the most common form of earworm. This BBC article is a fascinating look at the theory behind it all.
But yesterday I had two songs stuck in my head that just wouldn't quit, two very different songs. "In Da Club" by 50 Cents, and "Friday Night" by Cliff Richard and The Shadows. Talk about poles apart! Although I had heard some of the 50 Cent track a few days before, I haven't heard the Cliff Richard track for many many years. I'm not going to publish all the lyrics here, but both songs are about having fun, letting go of your responsibilities for a while and enjoying yourself.
I've had a rough few months lately, a lot of responsibility and hassle, but one of the things mothers are often guilty of is not taking enough time for themselves. I think my earworm was trying to remind me to take some time out for some fun.
So today I did just that ~ no sipping Bacardi like it's my birthday, but a lovely lunch with a good friend, then instead of coming home to chores I just lay on the couch and read my book for a couple of hours. The chores will still be there tomorrow, and I will face them refreshed and recharged.
And ready to listen to any more earworms that may pop into my head.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment