Friday 22 March 2013

F is for Flint

Yesterday I went for a walk in my local woods. It was raining a little off and on. I stood in the circle as usual and tried to centre and draw down some energy to share as I always do when I visit the woods, but today I really struggled. I have problems relaxing anyway, and I'm well overdue for a spiritual detox, so I mentally apologised for not being able to share energy with the woods. As I turned and walked away from the circle my foot slipped a little in the mud and I looked down to see a chunk of flint poking out of the ground. I picked it up to find it was the deepest midnight blue streaked with creamy white, a three-sided piece the perfect size to hold in the palm of my hand.


As I continued my walk I thought about what flint meant to me. I wanted to have an unbiased impression before I came home and researched this gift. Flint is probably one of the first tools ever used by Mankind. Long before we learned to use metals, flint was knapped into knives, spear and arrowheads, and other tools. It was also used for building, many houses and churches going back into antiquity have been constructed using this stone. And of course, flint can be used to create sparks, and so to light fires.
I knew a little of the formation of flint: It is mainly found as nodules in chalky areas, such as the South Downs where I live.
As I walked I felt my mood and energy lift. The woods always lift my spirits, but yesterday more so than usual. I often feel the presence of Earth spirits when I'm in the woods, and today, with the pattering of drips from the canopy, it even felt like they were running along after me, full of fun. I returned to the circle at the end of the walk to thank the spirits for their help. Although I found it a little easier to draw down some energy from the Universe, I was only sluggishly able to project it ~ I guess I have some work to do there.


And so, my research!

First, the science bit: Flint is a form of quartz found in sedimentary rocks such as chalk and limestone, though it's unclear exactly how it is formed.

and the Magickal Properties:

Flint is mainly thought of as a protective stone, especially when placed above a doorway or worn as an amulet. It is thought to ward off mischievous fairy and elf magic.
It has healing connections, especially on the hormones, kidneys and nerves. It's sometimes referred to as an emotional stone, helping to sever emotional ties to stressful situations, and overcome depression and shyness.
It is associated with Thor, and the number 7.

Combining my research with my intuitive feelings on this stone I would add that flint is a stone that links both Earth and Water. I'm not sure about using it to ward off elf magick, as flint represents earth spirits, but perhaps it is more a signal to the spirits that you acknowledge and respect them and so they won't use mischievous magick against you!

I look forward to meditating with my flint. If I have any interesting experiences I will be sure to share them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment