Monday 14 January 2013

Snow! (or Frau Holda shakes her thang)

I bloody love snow!

Oslo 2012
Today the first snow of the year, and of the season, fell. It was only a very light dusting, and it was gone before long, but as I said earlier:

I bloody love snow!

All these photos were taken during my 40th birthday trip to Oslo last year. Now, they know how to do snow!

There was too little here to even scrape together for snowballs (but watch this space, because if we do get that much I have a little craft / charm / spell to share) but I took 3 spoonfuls and put them in a little glass dish on my altar.

My Special Hollow ~ Oslo 2012
The hollow in the last photo is a very special place for me. Whenever I am in Oslo I take some time out to sit here and connect with the Earth spirits. I find Norway a wonderful place for Earth meditations ~ the bare rocky bones of the earth are evident everywhere, and in winter the combination of my two favourite elements (Water and Earth) is magickal.

Snow has always held a special place in my heart, I guess in part because I have always lived on the south coast of the UK and we rarely enjoy it here. But also because I have a special soft spot in my heart for Frau Holda and the snowflake is one of her symbols.


Frau Holda is the Germanic Goddess of spinning, domestic chores, and children. She is host of the Wild Hunt, accompanied by Woden, and appears as either a beautiful golden-haired maiden or a crone-like old woman.

Here are some of my personal correspondences for her:

Symbols ~ Snowflake, white feather, spinning wheel
Crystal ~ Snowflake Obsidian,
Tree ~ Holly and Elder
Herbs ~ Elderflower and Elderberries
Attributes ~ Hard work, motherhood, wisdom
Sabbat ~ Yule
Colour ~ White, silver, ice-blue
Flower ~ Wild rose

You can read lots more about Frau Holda here, but rest assured I will be banging on about her a lot in this blog. She's awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment